Thursday, November 22, 2012

Really Reasonable Ribbon Anything but a Card Challenge

Since 90% of my crafting time lately has been card making, the Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge #60 - Anything but a Card made me stop and think.

In the big November 2012 purge of things we don't need cluttering up our house, a few small jewelry boxes were discarded. My first thought was to try alter these, but really the only thing worth saving in one was the cotton pad lining the box.

I decided to make a new box that would fit the cotton pad, so pulled out a piece of heavyweight white cardstock, red double sided adhesive tape & my score tool.

I quickly made a simple 8x2x1" box and cut & scored the lid 1/4" bigger and only 1/2" deep. Before putting together the lid, I decided to use three of the ribbons from RRR's Christmas Diamond Satin Ribbon Assortment to create a woven design on the box lid.









I finished one end of the lid and didn't even measure or cut the ribbons to start. Using the adhesive tape, I adhered the end of the ribbon under the lid and then again on the outside of the lid.









Once the ends were secure, I could easily see how much ribbon I needed and trimmed the pieces.








Finding the center of the long side of the box, I repeated the same method of anchoring my ribbon, adding a piece to alternating sides, until 7 short pieces of ribbon were lined up.  Again, I could see how much of each piece was needed and trimmed the lengths as I went along.


             


Once the ribbon was anchored at one end, it is easy to weave the pieces. A length of adhesive at each end keeps the long ribbon pieces from moving and is all that's needed to keep the woven piece in place.




I finish anchoring the ribbon in place the same way I started, taping it on both the outside and inside of the lid.



For a little extra decoration, I formed a bow with a couple loops of ribbon scrunched together with a red bakers twine. A few bells are attached and a piece of the green ribbon is layered underneath.

This is a perfect little gift box for a piece of jewelry, chocolates or other small treat!




Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for stopping by,


Jacquie

4 comments:

  1. Super idea for the ribbon!!!! Love the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun! I love those gorgeous ribbons too! Way to recycle!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gift box, love how you used the ribbon!! Thank you for joining us at Really Reasonable Ribbons Anything but a card challenge!
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous....soo elegant! thanks for playing with us at rrr!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!