Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Papertrey Ink September 2012 Blog Hop Challenge - Wine Gift Bags

When I first saw the PTI Blog Hop Challenge this month, I knew immediately that I was going to pull out the sewing machine and finally make a few fabric wine gift bags. The details of the challenge are on Nichole Heady's blog and this is the inspiration photo.


9-25-blog-hop-challenge


When the glitter settled from an epic couple of months making musical theater costumes for dear daughter's school I was left with a piece of heavy white canvas (denim?) that I thought might be useful in my crafty endeavours one day. 




I had enough canvas to make 8 bags, so have a few more to do, but I LOVE the way these turned out! 

If you have sewn a straight line before, you can whip these up pretty fast.

I used 12x18" rectangles, sewed the patterned fabric to the canvas first (right sides together leaving a gap on the bottom), flipped them right sides out and ironed the rectangle.  A channel was sewn for the pull cord (or ribbon) about 3" from the top edge - I picked out the stitches for the opening after this channel was finished. On one of the bags I added a line of gathered tulle - still debating whether I like this or not.




Because 2 of my fabrics had text on them, I was careful to make sure the text would read the right way when the top of the bag was turned down.

With the patterned side out, I folded the rectangle in half and sewed the bottom edge and side up to the cord channel, creating my bag. A different ribbon or cord is used for each bag and bells are tied on the ends of a couple - star or snowflake charms would be great too.

I used my ancient Making Memories foam stamps to print the sentiments. This was probably the toughest part - I had no back-up plan for any stray paint.




My plan was to make matching gifts tags using the new PTI Happiest of Holidays stamp set, but the PTI package is still somewhere between here and there, so I shifted gears quickly to plan B.

I will definitely be making a few more of the HAPPY bag, because it is the most versatile sentiment. What was going to be a Happy Holidays gift bag is now Happy Birthday! 




One of the PTI Half & Half dies is used to create a base for the sentiment from the PTI Movers & Shakers stamp set. The tag is made by running a piece of cardstock through the Xyron and laying the fabric on top of it. The excess fabric trimmed away and the corners rounded to mimic the Half & Half die.




A few rhinestones colored with a Copics and a piece of chiffon ribbon finish off the gift tag.

When my new stamps arrive, I will be making tags with them and scraps from these text fabrics.




I still can't decide whether or not I like the line of tulle on this bag.




I am off to check out what everyone else has linked to the Blog Hop.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie



22 comments:

  1. This is so fabulous!!! Looks very elegant and the fabrics are awesome. - Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those foam stamps! I haven't used them in ages, but I just can't seem to part with them..... I love how you used them on your lovely bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So festive and so fabulous - I'll have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the bags! They turned out so FESTIVE... I too have those foam stamps and NEED to dust them off! they are PERFECT on these!!
    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a busy lady you have been, Jacquie and very creative! Love what you did with these happy wine bags. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! these are super nice. Love how you backed the bags with a contrasting fabric and how you added the tulle. I would love to get one of these for my gift!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, goodness. These are just amazing. You are making me wish I knew how to sew. I love how the pattern is inside, but you can see it at the top. Great job of stamping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fabulous!! I like the happy bag too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh Jacquie, I love these!!! I think I actually may have some random material lying around that I could make some of these. They came out so cute!! I do like the one with the tulle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous and festive idea for presenting a gift! Love the bold red lettering on the white bags.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just so fun and festive! I love these wine bags, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WoW! You did an awesome job. I can't believe you stamped thos sentiments on the outside. Georgeous. Love your tag too!
    Looks like you are set for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous bags. What a great way to package a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These bags are so pretty~they will be treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! You went all out!! These bags are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how the bags are lined with a different fabric. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ummmm, you can sew?! What talents you possess! These are AMAZING! I mean....I am in awe! BTW, you can put sparkling cider in mine when you fork it over, k? hee hee

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!